Building a Professional Learning Community for Teachers Teaching Aviation
My name is David Thomas. I am a teacher at Langley Education Centre and teach our Aviation Explorations 12 course. Together with the BC Aviation Council, we are creating a safe space where we can virtually come together as educators to collaborate—to share ideas, questions, victories and challenges—and hopefully take away something that will help us and our students moving forward.
This is a virtual event and will be held using zoom. There is no charge to attend this workshop.
Who should attend: This workshop is for teachers teaching or wishing to teach aviation-related lessons or courses, administrators who want to explore widening the options available for their students, and support staff who are seeking to support their students as they navigate school and look to possible careers. It is for people with a background in aviation and for those who simply want to explore the possibilities.
The Agenda / Flight Plan / Shape of the day
The agenda may change slightly but our goal is for an on-time arrival and an on-time departure for all our participants!
|Welcome and Introductions
|Keynote speaker: Cathy Press
|Panel 1 discussion: Industry Panel
Industry leaders from across the career spectrum will talk about opportunities in their industry and their career pathway.
|SD36 Aviation program and reflection
|Panel 2 discussion: Student Panel
Students who have taken an aviation class will share their experiences and insights on school-based aviation programs.
|Panel 3 discussion: PSI / Training organizations
Post Secondary Training Institutions will share information about their programs and what it takes for students to achieve success.
|BCAC teacher supports
|SD35 Aviation program and reflection
|Survey, closing remarks
BIG IDEAS FOR AVIATION IN THE CLASSROOM
- Aviation is more than flying. There are many different aviation careers—some hidden—that can provide challenge and reward.
- Understanding the breadth of careers in aviation helps us understand the breadth of careers in other fields.
- Thinking about and planning for a career is something that can be started in school.
- Getting a mentor and creating a network can be invaluable.
PROPOSED WORKSHOP OUTCOMES
- Discuss and build on / refine the big ideas
- Collaborate with other teachers who are teaching or want to teach aviation-related courses or clubs
- Provide information on mentorships, scholarships, curricula that are available
- See if there is a felt-need to create a professional learning community (PLC) for teachers moving forward.